Archive for the Sri Lanka Category

More on Sri Lanka

Posted in Sri Lanka with tags , , , , on March 16, 2008 by Mike

Here’s a warm welcome to our newest Blogroll member, Remember Ambassadors. They’ve got a great article with more info on the violence that’s happening in Sri Lanka.

About 70% of Sri Lanka’s 20 million people are Buddhist. In fact, Sri Lanka has the longest continuous history of Buddhism among all Buddhist nations. The other 30% is divided among a variety of religions, including Islam and Hinduism, with Christians comprising around 6% of the total population.

It appears that hostilities towards Christians is growing. In just the past couple of weeks, there have been a number of attacks against Christians and their church buildings. Though these may be unrelated incidents of persecution, it could be that this marks an escalation of violence against Christians in general!


Sri Lanka Christians Facing Attacks

Posted in Sri Lanka with tags , , , on March 8, 2008 by Mike

BosNewsLife is reporting that attacks on Christians in Sri Lanka have been on the rise lately.

Britain-based Christian Solidarity Worldwide (CSW), a major rights group, told BosNewsLife there this month saw a “dramatic” increase in attacks against Christians in the country, including Monday, March 3 when the Zion Mount Prayer House in Sri Lanka’s Mulaitivu District was set on fire. “The pastor, his wife, child and two other people were inside at the time, although it is believed they were able to escape.”

The previous day ten Bible School students in Lunuwila, Putlam District, were reportedly attacked by ten masked men on motorbikes.

The violence apparently occurred as the students of the Believers Church Bible College were walking from the railway station. “They were beaten, kicked and attacked with rods. More attackers arrived in a van and dragged one student into the vehicle, where he was beaten and kicked. Nine students were treated in hospital for injuries,” CSW said in a statement.